Most people experience a sexually transmitted infection at some point in time. Herpes, fungal infections and genital warts are common, for example. Gonorrhea and syphilis are also becoming more common once again. The possible consequences of an infection range from irritating itching to a life-threatening illness.
You can protect yourself from some infections by using condoms or by being vaccinated. All the infections mentioned can be treated effectively. If you have sex with changing partners, you should be tested for sexually transmitted diseases once a year.
This is especially important for people with HIV, as some infections can be more severe in people who are HIV positive.
Sexually transmitted infections can also increase the risk of being infected with HIV, as areas of inflammation make it easier for the virus to enter the body. If an HIV-positive person also has another sexually transmitted infection, there is an increased risk of their partner becoming infected with HIV.
In 1985 AIDS-Hilfe Nürnberg-Erlangen-Fürth e.V. was founded as a self-help organization by volunteers and people with HIV.
Our work focuses on:
- to support and assist people living with HIV and Aids
- prevention work especially for groups affected by HIV and
- therefore to offer counseling and testing possibilites on HIV and sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- to inform general population about HIV & STIs
- to improve socialpolitical environment